Aims and objectives
The project aims to design the next generation VPPN that use satellite communications and data analytics for Smart Grid management and mitigation of costly power outages.
This project aim shall be achieved through the following set of detailed objectives:
- To specify the target network architecture for a smart VPPN using satellite and terrestrial links, and the mechanisms for secure and reliable communication in such a network.
- To use intelligent big data analytics for better understanding of the power demand.
- To develop novel load prediction and forecasting algorithms for Smart Grid demand side management.
Figure: Conceptual architecture of a Virtual Power Plant Network using satellite communication
The project will meet the goals and objectives of the Global Innovation Initiative in the following ways:
- Increasing global mobility of students, researchers, and academics from UK, USA and India to carry out the research activities and to participate in associated conferences, workshops, and short courses.
- Developing an expert group comprising of high-calibre scientists from UK, USA and India specialising in the area of satellite communications and Smart Grid to address the global issues related to power shortage and CO2 emissions in urban developments.
- Encouraging international collaborations in conferences, workshops, and short courses in the area of Smart Grid systems that enables the development of capacities across a range of universities and companies in UK, USA and India.
- Conducting cutting-edge research that uses three of the "Eight Great Technologies" to create new innovative solutions to address the future global energy issues.
- Forging university and business linkages through a training course in the area of Smart Grid systems specifically designed for industry professionals in the Telecommunications and Energy Sector.
- Developing of a joint PhD doctoral training programme to foster long-term institutional engagement.